Monday, March 5, 2012

A much better week around here

Benton Boy!
I apologize that the text is to the left on these pictures.  I didn't check my settings till after I finished the post and just don't have the energy to fix it :)

Sunday afternoon Steve started feeling better.

Belly laughs

Monday morning he woke up feeling "great."

Monday after work he said he "felt like a million bucks." Praise the Lord!

His side effects were almost non-existent. His memory was better, his dizziness was gone, and he just felt good. In fact he said he had never been so excited just to feel good.

We went for his neurologist appointment Thursday morning. We absolutely loved him. He was personable, funny, and took his time with us. We didn't feel rushed and he answered all of our questions.

4P Bear hunt at school with Corduroy

I forgot to mention in my last post that several months ago when I picked up Steve's medicine at the pharmacy, it was $8. It's usually almost $100 so it definitely got my attention. I asked the pharmacist why the difference and she said this was not extended release. Since he'd always been on extended release, I thought that was strange.

I told Steve about it and to make sure he called the doctor's office to ask why the change. Of course I totally forgot to follow up to make sure he did it. And I'll give you one guess as to whether or not he remembered to call :)

When we told his neurologist all of this, he was completely convinced that this, coupled with Steve not taking his medicine, was the cause of the seizure. He said he saw no other red flags and thinks this will be completely treatable with medication. What a relief!

Angel Baby...yes I think so!

He left him on the Keppra. That is his drug of choice for seizures and he thinks it will work for Steve. We are certainly praying it does!

3rd grade biography project...Heather Whitestone

He also told us the side effects were most likely as a result from the seizure and not the medicine. He said it takes some people a whole month to recover from a seizure! Wow. I guess we are really blessed it only took Steve a week to feel normal again.

But it makes sense. Your brain controls everything so when there's a problem there, it's likely to affect everything.

He told Steve to relax and take it easy for an entire month including no serious exercise. "Take a walk," he said. It will be really hard for him to "take it easy" for a month, but at least he heard it straight from the doctor.

Steve has an EEG scheduled for Thursday morning. His doctor said he fully expects it to come back completely normal. Please pray that it does.

He will go back to the doctor in 3 months. I am happy to report that he is now the poster child for seizure medication. He takes it without fail. I am so proud of him!

We CANNOT say thank you enough for all the kind and encouraging words, emails, thoughts, and especially prayers. We are blessed.

The prayers of family and friends have carried us through and we are eternally grateful.

Please keep us in your prayers if you think about it. I still get scared at night, especially when I wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep.

Valentine party :)

I wake him up when he's snoring because I'm afraid a really deep sleep will cause another seizure. Sounds so ridiculous I know. He told me this morning I have got to stop waking him up :) In my defense, he goes right back to sleep!

Thank you friends from the bottom of our hearts!

Benton's face is priceless in this one!

And this week's memory verse for Bible study was another one that spoke right to my heart...

"Surely God is my help;the Lord is the one who sustains me." Psalm 54:4

No comments: